Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patrick's Day?

St. Patrick's Day is a very interesting Catholic feast day, that has made its way into American culture. However, I have never viewed St. Patrick's Day as a real holiday. I wore green some years, but never thought about the day as a symbol of anything. Therefore, St. Patrick's Day has no real meaning to me.



Some people think about luck, some think about parties, while some think about the actual saint on this feast day. I do not think about any of these things. I do not really believe in luck, I do not have parties on St. Patrick's Day, and I do not know anything about the saint. I have lived my entire 16 years, believing St. Patrick's Day was a fun holiday, where people wear green.



This has never really affected my life, until today. I heard a story about my English teacher's connection to St. Patrick's Day. Her daughter had a heart defect, and my teacher remember St. Patrick's Day as a symbol of the luck she had to survive. I heard another account from a friend. She is Catholic and to her, St. Patrick's Day is the day to honor a great person. These stories made me realize that I felt jealous for all the people who view St. Patrick's Day or any other holiday, as a symbol for something good.

1 comment: